The MVAC Scholarship Program
The Mission Viejo Activities Committee has established a volunteer scholarship program to honor high school seniors of exceptional character and dedication to volunteerism. The Scholarship Program is managed by the Mission Viejo Activities Committee. Recipients are selected without regard to race, ethnicity, religion or gender. The MVAC awards scholarships in increments of $1,000 scholarships. Awards are primarily based on Community Service.
– Be a U.S. Citizen
– Must be an attendee of SVUSD or CVUSD or any high school within those geographic districts.
– Have volunteered for at least 150 hours of which 25 hours must have been performed in Mission Viejo during high school years to qualify for this scholarship and be able to document consistent community service hours.
– Be current high school seniors planning to enroll for the first time in a full-time course of study at an accredited U.S. four year college or university, or a baccalaureate program at a two year college in the fall following graduation or a technical/trade school certificate program.
– Have the ability to document consistent community service hours.
Students must complete the application and submit it along with an essay on volunteerism and two references that can speak of the candidate’s volunteer activities to MVAC due by March 15th.
Applicants are responsible for submitting all necessary information. Because applicants are evaluated on the information, they are advised to answer every question as completely as possible. Community service hours will be verified with the information provided by the applicant. All information received is considered confidential and is reviewed only by the Scholarship Committee.
Scholarship awarded based on:
– Amount and types (what you actually did while volunteering) of volunteer service
– School participation experience
– Leadership experience
– Two letters of reference from people personally familiar with your volunteering experience
Payments are authorized by the Executive Board of MVAC on recommendation from the Scholarship Committee and are processed by the MVAC. Payments are made in two equal installments in August and December. Checks are mailed to each recipient and are made payable to the student and the school. They must be endorsed by both. Applicant is required to notify the MVAC of any changes of address, school enrollment or other relevant information. Scholarships can be used for any school-related expenses, including any of the following: tuition, books, materials, or room and board expenses that are paid through the school.
Renewal of Award.
MVAC scholarships are not renewable.
The MVAC reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time including termination of the program.
MVAC Scholarship applications are available from this website.